The stretch from the return of Christmas break to March Break has always seemed the longest, coldest, and darkest part of the year. However, this year the boys have had a jammed packed schedule of: academics, events and experiences to bring energy and excitement to even the coldest days. Here are some of the highlights of this term:
- Bermuda Cup events: The boys competed in 2 events this term, the first, House Reach, tested their brains instead of their muscles. The boys were happy with their 2nd place finish. The second event, House Basketball, occurred as part of a larger event: Winter Carnival. Dean’s ended the day in a 3-way tie for 2nd place, falling to 3rd after point totals were calculated.
- Wacky Weather: Not to be undone by the all the other excitement the boys were shown a “Traditional” Canadian winter complete with 3 days off school due to snow, wind and ice.
- Superbowl: The boys got together to watch the big game together! Although the game was a little less eventful than the boys were hoping, they still enjoyed the inter-house games, prizes, and food. Payton Roud continues her streak of winning her bingo card despite her bedtime.
- Grade Dinners: The Roud family hosted advisory dinners; inviting each advisor group in for a homemade meal. Both Mr. Arkell and Mr. Lippert’s advisory groups have attended. Both groups left with smiles, compliments and full bellies.
- Valentine’s Day Dinner: In the spirt of love the leadership team (Prefects, House Captains, and Grade Reps) organized a Valentine’s Day dinner for the house. A special meal in the RMT complete with a chocolate fountain, red and white decorations, and candlelight were just some of the many thoughtful elements of the dinner which the boys really appreciated.
- Family Day: In the light of Family Day, an Ontario holiday recognizing the importance of families and spending time with loved ones. The entire house engaged in the making of “Warm Fuzzies” for each other; compiling pages of one-line sentiments of appreciation for each other. We hope you enjoyed the comments that the boys in the house said about your son. We are so lucky to have each and every one of them in our house!
- Prefect speeches: We have been so lucky to have Jordan and Tomi share their wisdom and experience with the house and school during their prefect speeches during chapel!
- Asmat: It was an exciting moment for the house and the entire school as we learned that Asmat had been offered a full scholarship to Huron University at Western. This scholarship the largest in school’s history was for Asmat’s continued success and constant drive to make the world a better place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx4enIpmCuQ We are so proud of Asmat!
- Dean’s Ski Day: We hit the slopes at Holiday Valley in New York. For many of the boys, they challenged themselves by taking the risk of trying something new – skiing and snowboarding for the first time! A day filled will (many) falls and (more) smiles as the boys developed a new skill.
- Athletics: Not to be forgotten or over shadowed sports were alive and well this term. Some top place finishes as the rowers competed in the Ontario Erg competition, the First Boys Hockey became back-to-back MPHL Champions, the First Boys Basketball team went all the way to the CISAA semi-finals, the First Swim team saw gold and silver medals at OFSAA, and, our very own Tomi Johnson was named to the OSBA All-Academic team! So many amazing accomplishments from so many of the boys!
- March Break: For many of the boys the break was a time to head home and relax for others it was a time to participate participating in service in China or Milawe, or competing in hockey or basketball. In either case we hope all had a wonderful break.
We look forward to the boys returning and the spring season which is fast approaching. Please follow us on Facebook on our Dean’s House page, Twitter @DeanHouse and on Instagram @Deans.House.Knights to keep up to date on your daily dose of Dean’s House.